How do you use respectively in a sentence?
Table of Contents
- How do you use respectively in a sentence?
- Is or are respectively?
- How does respectively work in a sentence?
- What can I use instead of respectively?
- Can you start a sentence with respectively?
- Can I use respectively twice in a sentence?
- How do you use respectively plural?
- How do you write respectively?
- How do you write respectively in short form?
- How do you use respectively in numbers?
- How to use "respectively" in a sentence?
- What does respectively mean in a list?
- What does respectively mean?
- When to use respective?
How do you use respectively in a sentence?
Respectively sentence example
- First, second, and third place in the competition went to Alex, Michael, and John, respectively . ...
- Kate and Daniel are 13 and 14 years old, respectively . ...
- In April and May, the profits grew 18% and 29%, respectively .
Is or are respectively?
One word that frequently sneaks into places it doesn't belong is respectively. Respectively is an adverb that means "for each separately and in turn, and in the order mentioned." The correct use of respectively requires two parallel lists of corresponding items.
How does respectively work in a sentence?
A note on punctuation: the word "respectively" is put at the end of the sentence or phrase it refers to, and it is set off with a comma (or commas if "respectively" occurs in the middle of the sentence). Example: The dog and the cat were named Jack and Sam, respectively, and they lived down the street from me.
What can I use instead of respectively?
Synonyms & Antonyms of respectively
Can you start a sentence with respectively?
Well, you could conceivably start a sentence with “respectively,” but you can't start this sentence with “respectively.”
Can I use respectively twice in a sentence?
Senior Member. Break it into two sentences, it would make it a lot easier - you shouldn't use 'respectively' twice in the same sentence. Alternatively, restructure it so you use 'respectively' once at the end of the sentence.
How do you use respectively plural?
Use of plural with "respectively" when referring to a property
- The yields of 1 and 2 were 76 and 89%, respectively. The yield of 1 and 2 was 76 and 89%, respectively.
- In control and treated cells, the mean values were 8.6 and 7.5, respectively. In control and treated cells, the mean value was 8.6 and 7.5, respectively.
How do you write respectively?
If in the middle of a sentence, 'respectively' is placed between two commas....'Respectively' is typically used to save space.
|Without 'respectively'||The value of X was 8.7, the value of Y was 9.8, and the value of Z was 5.6.|
|With 'respectively'||The values of X, Y, and Z were 8.7, 9.8, and 5.6, respectively.|
How do you write respectively in short form?
Usage notes Like the unabbreviated form respectively, this abbreviation is used postfix, as in "X or Y, resp.". Some ESL writers use it infix, as in "X resp.
How do you use respectively in numbers?
If 'respectively' comes in the middle of a sentence, it should be both preceded and followed by a comma: “The OD600 values for bacterial growth in the 20°C, 25°C, 30°C, and 37°C groups were 0.5, 0.6, 0.9, and 0.7, respectively, at 2 hours, but all cultures reached saturation at 8 hours.”
How to use "respectively" in a sentence?
- Use of respectively. 'Respectively' is an adverb that is often misused by non-native English speakers. It means "in the order given" and should only be used if your sentence would be unclear without it. Example: Oxygen, nitrogen and hydrogen detector flows were set at 85, 7, and 4 mL/min, respectively. The use of respectively here makes it clear that the first gas mentioned goes with the first number, the second gas goes with the second number, and the third gas with the third number.
What does respectively mean in a list?
- The definition of respective is how something relates to two or more people or things in a list. An example of respective is the order of a list of actors in a movie with their individual roles.
What does respectively mean?
- Respectively Meaning. Respectively means "in the order given," and connects to the meaning of respect having to do with how something relates to or references another thing, as in "the cars are similar with respect to efficiency and initial cost.".
When to use respective?
- Respective, respectively. Both respective (meaning each separately according to its own situation) and its adverbial form, respectively, are often used unnecessarily. The words are called for when the distinction matters, or when not including them could cause confusion—for example: