How long can you take pilocarpine?
Table of Contents
- How long can you take pilocarpine?
- Can you take pilocarpine daily?
- What are the side effects of taking pilocarpine?
- Does pilocarpine affect blood pressure?
- How long do the effects of pilocarpine last?
- Is it safe to use pilocarpine?
- Can pilocarpine make dry mouth worse?
- Is pilocarpine safe?
- How long does oral pilocarpine stay in your system?
- What does pilocarpine do to the heart?
- What are the long term side effects of pilocarpine?
- What kind of medication is pilocarpine used for?
- What do you need to know about ocular pilocarpine?
- Can you take pilocarpine with or without food?
How long can you take pilocarpine?
Usual Adult Dose for Xerostomia: -The lowest effective dose should be used for maintenance. -Single doses should not exceed 10 mg. -At least 12 weeks of continued treatment may be necessary to assess whether treatment will produce a beneficial response.
Can you take pilocarpine daily?
The usual maximum adult dose is 30 milligrams each day. Take this medication regularly to get the most benefit from it. To help you remember, take it at the same times each day. You may continue to drink water or use saliva substitutes as needed for moisture in your mouth.
What are the side effects of taking pilocarpine?
Pilocarpine may cause side effects. Tell your doctor if any of these symptoms are severe or do not go away:
- runny nose.
- frequent urination.
Does pilocarpine affect blood pressure?
Pilocarpine strongly increases arterial pressure which activates baroreceptors, thereby enhancing the activity of NTS and CVLM neurons, before the release of inhibitory signals in the RVLM trying to reduce sympathetic activation.
How long do the effects of pilocarpine last?
Onset of miosis after topical administration of a 1% solution of pilocarpine hydrochloride or nitrate to the conjunctival sac occurs within 10-30 minutes, with maximal effect within 30 minutes. Miosis usually persists for 4-8 hours, rarely, up to 20 hours.
Is it safe to use pilocarpine?
Do not use more or less of it or use it more often than prescribed by your doctor. Pilocarpine eye drops and eye gel control glaucoma but do not cure it. Continue to use pilocarpine eye drops or eye gel even if you feel well. Do not stop using pilocarpine eye drops or eye gel without talking to your doctor.
Can pilocarpine make dry mouth worse?
To do so may increase the chance of side effects. It is important that you visit your dentist regularly even though this medicine may make your dry mouth feel better. Having a dry mouth condition makes you more likely to have dental and other mouth problems.
Is pilocarpine safe?
The optimal dose of oral pilocarpine, which was less likely to cause side effects, was 5 mg four times daily. A recent multi-center study in SS patients suggests that oral pilocarpine is effective and safe for long-term administration.
How long does oral pilocarpine stay in your system?
Pharmacokinetics: In a multiple-dose pharmacokinetic study in male volunteers following 2 days of 5 or 10 mg of oral Pilocarpine hydrochloride tablets given at 8 a.m., noontime, and 6 p.m., the mean elimination half-life was 0.76 hours for the 5 mg dose and 1.35 hours for the 10 mg dose.
What does pilocarpine do to the heart?
Pilocarpine modulates the cellular electrical properties of mammalian hearts by activating a cardiac M3 receptor and a K+ current.
What are the long term side effects of pilocarpine?
- Ocular side effects have included amblyopia, cataract, conjunctivitis, dry eyes, blurred vision, eye disorder, eye pain, eye hemorrhage, glaucoma, retinal disorder, and abnormal vision. [ Ref]
What kind of medication is pilocarpine used for?
- Pilocarpine is a medication with a long track record. It is a topical drop that was developed more than 50 years ago to reduce elevated intraocular pressure.
What do you need to know about ocular pilocarpine?
- What to Know About Ophthalmic Pilocarpine 1 Uses. Administering eye drops is usually the first line of defense in treating glaucoma, with the goal towards lowering increased intraocular pressure. 2 Before Taking. ... 3 Dosage. ... 4 Side Effects. ... 5 Warnings and Interactions. ...
Can you take pilocarpine with or without food?
- You may take pilocarpine with or without food. Drink plenty of liquids while you are taking pilocarpine. This medicine can cause increased sweating and you may get dehydrated easily. Use pilocarpine regularly to get the most benefit. Get your prescription refilled before you run out of medicine completely.