Can you use and/or in a sentence?
Table of Contents
- Can you use and/or in a sentence?
- Is it bad to use and or?
- Is there a word for and or?
- What should I say instead of and in an essay?
- Can I use and/or together?
- Is it better to use AND or &?
- When we use a or an?
- Can and/or be used in formal writing?
- DOES THIS MEAN AND or OR?
- Can you use and/or in academic writing?
- Can you pay someone to write an essay?
- Should I use etc in an essay?
- Can you refer to yourself in an essay?
- How do you do a conclusion on an essay?
Can you use and/or in a sentence?
In writing the phrase and/or, for example in a sentence as: I need to purchase a new item and/or return this one. ... To properly designate the intention of "and/or" it would be written: I need to purchase a new item/return this one. Nonetheless, the usage of the phrase is highly regarded as inappropriate/poor writing.
Is it bad to use and or?
Legal criticism. ... The legal usage authority Bryan A. Garner stated that use of the term is particularly harmful in legal writing because a bad-faith reader of a contract can pick whichever suits them, the and or the or.
Is there a word for and or?
Of course, in math and formal logic, you can and must use "or" for "and/or." But the question remains of how to do it in normal speech. I think the word "also" (with or without "could") adumbrates much of the same semantic ground as "and/or." Not that the expressions are interchangeable, of course.
What should I say instead of and in an essay?
synonyms for and
- along with.
- as a consequence.
- as well as.
- together with.
Can I use and/or together?
Yes, you can put two conjunctions together, but only if the first one is a coordinating conjunction (and, or, so, but, for, yet, nor) and the second one a subordinating conjunction (because, after, although, since, etc.). For example, but because and so although are correct, but not because but or although so.
Is it better to use AND or &?
In citations when the source has more than one author, use an ampersand to connect the last two (Smith, Greene & Jones, 2008). Some style guides (APA) recommend using the ampersand here while others (Chicago Manual of Style and The MLA Style Manual) write out “and.” When identifying more than one addressee: “Mr. & Mrs.
When we use a or an?
The two indefinite articles in English are a and an. The indefinite article an is used to make pronunciation easier when reading a text aloud. The general rule is to use a when the indefinite article precedes a word beginning with a consonant sound and an when it precedes a word starting with a vowel sound.
Can and/or be used in formal writing?
Please do not use "and/or" in either formal or informal writing. In common English, the "or" is a "non-exclusive or" which means "either A or B, or A and B". When I say "I can have a banana OR I can have coffee" then I am also OK with having both.
DOES THIS MEAN AND or OR?
It means "and or or". "And and or" is generally false in colloquial English since most people who use "or" actually mean "exclusive or" (xor, where something can be either A or B but not both). Therefore "and or or" is correct.
Can you use and/or in academic writing?
Please do not use "and/or" in either formal or informal writing. In common English, the "or" is a "non-exclusive or" which means "either A or B, or A and B". When I say "I can have a banana OR I can have coffee" then I am also OK with having both. Having a banana does not prevent me from having coffee.
Can you pay someone to write an essay?
- In the Internet, it is very easy to get anything exactly as you want. If you are a student and need to write an essay but you do not have enough time to write it by yourself, then you can pay someone to write an essay.
Should I use etc in an essay?
- Do not use "etc." in your essay and don't say you think something is such and such. Be positive and state your fact or don't mention it. Your grade will likely be affected more negatively by your saying something wrong then by your leaving something out.
Can you refer to yourself in an essay?
- RULE 2: Use 'this writer' or 'this author' - Another way of mastering how to write an essay about yourself without using I is to refer to yourself using 'this writer' or 'this author.' Employ this rule if it is necessary for you to refer to yourself. This may sound as forced usage in everyday English, but it is permissible in academic writing.
How do you do a conclusion on an essay?
- How to conclude an essay: Restate the thesis by making the same point with other words (paraphrase). Review your supporting ideas. For that, summarize all arguments by paraphrasing how you proved the thesis. Connect back to the essay hook and relate your closing statement to the opening one.